Monday 4 April 2016

4th April: The first rehearsal


This should be definitely our first day of rehearsal. I practised the whole morning, firstly the pieces from Asan so I would to not embarrass myself at the rehearsal, and secondly, Bojana had asked me to join her gig the day after and play a few pieces. She sang with her trio at the opening of an exhibition of Hungarian Roma artists. My contribution of a few real Hungarian Gypsy pieces fitted just perfect. So I got my fingers around F minor and F hijaz modes, as most of Asan’s pieces were in this typical brass key, and it’s not very convenient on the violin; after that some finger gymnastics in Hungarian followed.

I felt very excited when taking my cab up to Topana in the early afternoon. Everyone, including hotel receptionists and cab drivers felt very curious and puzzled, when I ordered my cab to this area, as no normal person seems to want to go near that place. It’s close to Šutka, quite poor, and the streets are not very tidy. It’s mostly inhabited by Roma people, and therefore lively and exotic. To the left and the right of the main road, there are lots of small houses gathered very closely together. In our vision, it would be more barracks than houses, as they are mostly pretty run down, giving the whole settlement a rather Favela-type of feel.


Amit lives together with his mum in a small one-storey house. After an outdoor area, which is full of undefinable items, and where you must leave your shoes before entering the house, one comes into the kitchen and from there into the living room, where also his mum sleeps, as I only found out later. There are also 2 other adjoining rooms, and a bathroom to the other side. There seem to be no bedrooms, neither beds…
There was no luxury here, apart their smart phones and a flat-wide-screen TV, and of course all the instruments. It was cosy with a few of sofas, a picture with roses and symbols of good fortune, and it was very clean.


After the obligatory Turkish coffee, we started. It took a while to communicate what kind of music I’m interested in, or rather would be good to play in concerts in the UK. It was difficult to move them away from the usual Saban Bajramovic and Boban Markovic covers, which they think would be a lot better for British or German people then their more specific material. Finally I managed to get pieces out of them, some in compound time signatures, and pieces which were specific to Shutka or Macedonia, or which their dad/granddad who had formed the Orchestra 40 something years ago had arranged and composed.


In typical Romani life-style, every 10 minutes another relative or friend popped in, mostly attracted by the arrival of this western Gadjo lady, who played their music, and having a little laugh at it. I managed however to convince them otherwise, and they soon grabbed an instrument to join in, or they videoed us on their phones… One of them Serdzo, Asan’s younger brother, who would play a bigger role in the story at a later stage.
As a starting piece for the concert, they insisted on Djelem Djelem as their hymn – ME SINGING IT !!!



After 20-something pieces, we called it a day, and my head was spinning from new notes, phrases and tunes, and from speaking a weird language, which does not quite fit into my head yet…

No comments:

Post a Comment